No matter what procedure you have had, there are basic instructions that apply to just about all surgeries. Below are general postoperative instructions that Dr. Ricca has written. By clicking the tab to the left you can access downloadable instructions that Dr. Ricca has developed for specific surgical procedures.
1. Increase your activity as tolerated and only drive if you feel well enough.
2. Take your pain pills if needed but do not take more than prescribed. Pain medications and muscle relaxants will not be refilled early.
3. Do not drive or operate machinery while taking your medications.
4. NO SMOKING!! This greatly inhibits healing and increases the risk of infection.
5. You may shower 2 days after surgery. Prior to showering, please remove your bandage. Leave the steri-strips (the little tape strips) in place. At the end of your shower, rinse off your incision with clean water and then pat it dry. Do not soak your incision. DO NOT TAKE A BATH. You may place a new loose bandage on the incision only after it is completely dry. A clean dry wound will almost never get infected. A moist wound greatly increases the risk of infection.
6. Notify us (call) for temperature above 101 degrees, drainage from your incision or “breaking open” of your incision. Some swelling, hard knots, and bruising may be present. These will go away eventually.
7. Please contact us (501-278-8330) if you have any additional problems or questions. If you need to speak with someone after hours, call WCMC hospital and ask for the doctor on call for Dr. Ricca.
8. If you need a refill of your pain pills or muscle relaxants, please plan ahead and let us know before you run out. We are not always able to refill them the same day you call. We do not provide prescriptions after hours or on weekends. We do not refill prescriptions early, even if they are lost or stolen.
9. You may return to work whenever you feel able. Please contact us (e-mail or call) if you need a release to return to work prior to your follow up appointment.
710 Marion Street, Suite 303 Searcy, AR 72143 Ph: 501/278-8330 Fax: 501/278-8331